In the first part of this article, we discussed the principles of angle grinders and their main parameters. Now let’s talk about what to consider when buying a grinder and consumables for it, as well as what can not do without when working with this tool — about safety.
Useful tips when choosing a tool
When going to the company store to buy, decide on the types, conditions and volumes of work that you want to perform with the help of Angle grinder.
- For grinding work in hard-to-reach places, choose machines with” duck nose”, rotary head or handle.
- Machine larger sizes choose only in the case if you plan serious work. At the same time, pay attention to the alignment of the cutting tool and the presence of vibration protection systems. Keep in mind that in the process of cutting materials the maximum depth of the groove is 1/3 of the diameter of the circle.
- Pay attention to the handling of the machine at different positions of the handle. The presence of gaps in the joint of the handle with the body worsens the work with Angle grinder. Do not chase large sizes (circle diameter over 125 mm) unless necessary. Work with them harder, and fatigue comes faster.
The well-centered Angle grinder with ergonomic design feels like an extension of the operator’s hand — like a tennis racket. With it you feel familiar to the tennis player: you want to play, play, play!
The well-centered ear is felt by the extension of the operator’s hand
When choosing cutting wheels, pay attention to the color that manufacturers mark their cutting tools. The colors depend on the material for which the circles are intended: metal, concrete, ceramic tile, etc.
Types of consumables for finishing and construction works
- Diamond cutting discs. They have high performance and are a cutting tool of high precision (accuracy). Suitable for work with concrete, ceramics.
Diamond cutting disc
- Abrasive cutting discs are designed for cutting steel, cast iron, stone, slate, brick parts.
- Abrasive grinding wheels are used to process the parts before coating with varnishes or paints.
- Fiber grinding wheels are used to remove rust, as well as grinding welding seams.
- Cleaning wheels are designed to remove paint or rust from metal products.
- Abrasive brushes are used to remove coatings and rust, wood texture treatment.
Angle grinder is a highly dynamic power tool that requires a really strict and strict observance of safety rules.
When working with Angle grinder, it is necessary to strictly observe safety precautions!
- The operator must be outside the plane of the possible expansion of the disk fragments.
- When working with a grinder, it is necessary to make sure that the fastening of the processed product is reliable and that there are no flammable materials next to it. To extinguish the fire, possible from sparks, a bucket of water should be placed next to it.
- The handles of the grinder should be held with both hands, and avoiding the transfer of the mass of the operator to the workpiece. He must stand firmly on a hard surface with both feet.
- When working with a grinder used only circles (stones) regular size. It is forbidden to remove the protective cover and install a larger diameter working tool.
- It is forbidden to put the tool on any plane to a complete stop of rotation of the working body.
- When working with the power grinder, control the location of the current supply cord. It should not get into the processing area of the product.
- When working, it is also desirable to wear gloves and goggles.
Information for technical gourmets
This Chapter is intended for those readers who like to dig into the womb of “glands”. Ordinary users may well miss it with a light heart without any information loss.
In the previous part of the article we justified complained about the “Achilles heel” of the collector electric motors used — a current collector device performed in the form of a contact pair “collector-brush”. Of course, this drawback applies not only to angle grinders.
Cutting of silicate plate
However, recently there has been a hopeful light at the end of the tunnel. Future: this is a tool with brushless motor. Compared to conventional collector motor, brushless:
- it is characterized by a large resource of work (as they have fewer rubbing parts and smaller weight and size parameters);
- it has a great efficiency;
- allows battery Angle grinder to work longer on a single battery charge.
As an example we can consider the new product from the company Metabo, calculated on a circle diameter of 230 mm. the Distinguishing feature of this tool, the rotor having a closed housing, which eliminates the ingress of dust. But the dust is an integral satellite in the work of the angle grinder. In traditional designs, metal dust enters the gap between the stator and the rotor, adheres to the latter and makes it difficult to move inside the stator. And this, in turn, is fraught with increased wear and premature failure of the machine. However, back to the traditional Angle grinder.