A hangover after a wild party doesn’t come alone. His faithful companion is the fume, which sometimes lasts all day. Almost everyone knows how to mask this unpleasant aroma, but few have learned to fight its cause.
Do not confuse fumes and the smell of alcohol
Fumes are unpleasant-smelling alcohol breakdown products that appear 60-90 minutes after taking the first dose of a hot drink, when the liver begins to process alcohol into harmless acetic acid. Many people confuse fumes with the smell of alcohol, but in fact these are two different “flavors” that can come from a person at the same time, reinforcing each other. The methods of dealing with them are also slightly different.
Contrary to popular belief, the unpleasant smell of fumes does not come from the mouth or stomach. Acetic acid, which is the cause of fumes, is excreted through the lungs and to a lesser extent through the urine and skin. The smell of fumes persists until all the toxic residues of ethanol decomposition are eliminated from the body. Depending on the dose consumed, it takes from 3 to 36 hours for complete cleansing. Therefore, it is impossible to quickly remove the fume, you can only drown it out for a short time by various means.
The fume itself is harmless and only causes discomfort for others. But if there is a baby in the house, then he should not be in the same room with a drunk parent. The nervous system of young children is unstable, because of the unusual sharp smell, the child may cry or sleep poorly.
Easy ways to mask the fumes
1. Chewing gum. A simple affordable method that allows you to quickly kill the smell of fumes. The disadvantage is that it works for a maximum of 10-15 minutes. It is believed that the most effective — mint gum, but in fact they are too sharp and mixed with fumes give an unpredictable result. It is better to buy chewing gums with a fruit flavor.
2. Oral hygiene. To avoid the smell of fumes, you can brush your teeth or use a special refreshing spray. These products, like chewing gum, work for up to 15 minutes, only interrupting the smell. But in order to improve the overall health of the body, it is advisable to start the fight against fumes with a thorough brushing of the teeth.
3. Other flavors. The most affordable thing at home is to chew parsley, nutmeg, coffee beans or ordinary fried seeds for 2-3 minutes. This will be enough to bring down the fume for about 30-40 minutes. The disadvantage is that the listed products themselves have a sharp smell.
Methods of accelerated fume control
They are aimed at removing the decomposition products of alcohol from the body, that is, they do not fight with the consequences of fumes (unpleasant smell), but with the cause of its appearance. However, the result will appear only after 6-8 hours after application.
1. Drink plenty of fluids. Coffee, black and green tea stimulate the kidneys and have a diuretic effect, contributing to the removal of alcohol residues. But they can only be drunk if there are no problems with the heart and blood pressure. One cup every 4-5 hours will be enough.
Mineral water, decoctions of herbs (oats, dandelion, chamomile) and fresh fruit juices restore the mineral-acid balance of the body, fighting the cause of fumes, and not with its consequence-an unpleasant smell.
2. Proper food. To improve your overall health, you can eat a bowl of soup or borscht, as well as scrambled eggs. The first two dishes are rich in vitamins, scrambled eggs-protein and amino acids, which help the liver to process the remnants of ethyl alcohol. For dessert — fruit. Watermelon and strawberries have a diuretic effect.
3. Physical activity. First of all, you need to take a walk in the park or square in the fresh air for 20-30 minutes or at least open the window in the room. Light charging will also not hurt.
To activate the work of the lungs, it is advisable to perform breathing exercises. It is enough to take deep breaths for five minutes. Hyperventilation of the lungs helps to purify them, as a result, the smell of fumes becomes not so strong.
4. Water treatments. A warm (not hot) bath and a contrast shower perfectly clean the pores of the skin, helping to remove alcohol toxins from the body.
Fumes are not the most serious consequence of a festive feast. A more serious problem is a painful hangover.