Ahead of the long-awaited and filled with meetings New Year’s holidays, when no day is complete without receiving guests and feasting. But some people start celebrating with New Year’s corporate parties — and there is a great temptation to “break away” for the entire working year. How to survive this festive season with an abundance of delicious food and alcohol and not feel the next morning as if poisoned?
We present you a valuable article dedicated to the feast and the rules of drinking alcoholic beverages. These tips will help you prepare for the holiday, not get drunk before the chimes strike, celebrate the New Year with dignity and not die of a hangover in the morning.
How to get less drunk?
Ethyl alcohol and fusel oils contained in alcoholic beverages negatively affect the functioning of the cerebral cortex. The consequences are manifested individually: in some people, the functions of the occipital part of the brain and the vestibular apparatus are disrupted, as a result, balance and (or) the gift of speech are lost. In others, the “moral center” that controls behavior is turned off. In rare cases, the memory disappears for a while.
The situation when the next morning after a large dose of alcohol, a person does not remember anything, is not as common as is commonly believed. Most of the “victims” only feign amnesia, because they are ashamed of their behavior and they want to find an excuse for rash actions.
Interestingly, men and women get drunk in different ways, affecting the features of the brain. In men, first there are psychoemotional disorders (slurred speech, mood swings), and only then motor skills fail (coordination of movements is disrupted), in women-on the contrary. This means that with the same degree of intoxication, it is difficult for most men to talk and control their aggression, but they can move and even control complex mechanisms (including a car), while women usually first of all “fail their legs” and only with severe intoxication they lose the power of speech.
Preliminary preparation for the feast
1. “Vaccination”. 4-5 hours before the event, drink 50-100 ml of vodka or an equivalent amount of other alcohol. The body will start producing alcohol dehydrogenase, an enzyme responsible for processing alcohol in the body. As a result, the main dose of alcohol will be broken down immediately upon entry into the blood, and not with some delay, which is required for the activation of the liver. If you know your measure in the amount of alcohol consumed, “vaccination” is the most effective way to combat intoxication. The disadvantage is that even after a small dose of alcohol, fumes appear.
2. Fatty foods. 1-2 hours before the party, eat a sandwich with butter, lard, caviar or sturgeon. You can also drink 10-20 ml of olive oil (if you can).
Attention! Fatty foods do not block the absorption of alcohol, but only slow down its effect for 40-45 minutes. This means that a person will begin to get drunk about an hour after taking alcohol, but the intoxication itself will be fast and strong. It is better to use this method only if the event does not last long.
3. Medical preparations. For 2-3 hours before drinking alcohol, drink 4-5 tablets of activated carbon, and immediately before the feast, another 1-2 tablets, crushed into powder. Make sure that the charcoal does not remain on the teeth, after the tablets, it is advisable to rinse your mouth or brush your teeth. Activated carbon absorbs some of the alcohol and fusel oils.
Another 40 minutes before the feast, you can take one tablet of a digestive enzyme remedy, as well as a hepatoprotector based on plant components. These drugs will ensure the normal functioning of the stomach and liver during overload.
Attention! All medicines have contraindications, before using them, consult your doctor.
4. Do not drink on an empty stomach. In no case should you drink alcohol on an empty stomach, otherwise all other methods will not give the desired effect. This means that a few hours before taking alcohol, you need to eat normally.
Actions during the feast
1. Use only high-quality alcoholic beverages. The better the alcohol, the less harmful substances that cause rapid intoxication and a decrease in self-control.
2. Do not mix drinks. The body’s reaction to mixing different alcoholic beverages is unpredictable and manifests itself individually. For example, some people are absolutely forbidden to combine red wine and vodka, while others are forbidden to drink beer and cognac together. Almost everyone gets drunk from champagne with any hot drinks, since carbon dioxide contributes to the rapid absorption of alcohol into the blood.
When mixing alcohol (if this can not be avoided), remember the rule of “slides” — the degree of alcohol consumed should increase. For example, you can drink vodka after beer, but not vice versa. Although this rule is not scientifically proven, but in many cases it works.
3. Give preference to hot snacks. Alcohol should be eaten abundantly with hot food. Meat dishes, fish, boiled potatoes with butter or lard, as well as parsley and lemon significantly reduce the degree of intoxication. At the same time, it is important not to overeat, so as not to create additional stress on the digestive system. It is better to give up exotic dishes that have not been tried before. Their combination with alcohol is fraught with unexpected consequences.
4. Do not hold alcohol in your mouth. Alcohol is absorbed into the blood not only through the walls of the stomach, but also through the blood vessels in the oral cavity. In the second case, intoxication occurs almost instantly, since ethyl alcohol enters directly into the brain, bypassing the stomach and liver. Empty the glass in one quick gulp. Also beware of cocktails that are drunk through a straw.
5. Drink alcohol with non-carbonated drinks. Carbon dioxide contributes to rapid intoxication, so alcohol and soda are incompatible. Alcohol can be washed down with juices, fruit drinks, compotes or mineral water without gas.
6. Move more. To monitor your condition, periodically leave the table (if possible) and go out to breathe fresh air. However, you can not change the temperature regime abruptly, for example, go outside from a warm room in winter. This will cause an intense heartbeat, as a result, intoxication will occur faster.
7. Give up cigarettes. To a greater extent, this advice applies to people who smoke irregularly. In a literal sense, they can be knocked down by just one smoked cigarette.
8. Replace alcoholic beverages with non-alcoholic ones. If you feel that you are getting drunk quickly, try to imperceptibly replace the alcohol with something non-alcoholic of the same color. For example, wine, cherry juice, and vodka on mineral sparkling water. Also, alcoholic beverages can be discreetly diluted with juice or water without gas in the glass itself.
9. In case of severe intoxication, induce vomiting. This is a radical, but at the same time the most effective method to remove alcohol from the body. In this case, this is a justified remedy, since it will only get worse. The procedure can be repeated every hour (if possible and necessary).