Battery screwdrivers are different from the usual as well as a modern lighter from a box of matches. Of course, there are people in the world who like to smell sulfur. And, probably, you can still find a master who is ready to boast of bloody calluses on his hands — after screwing a couple of hundred screws. However, technological progress has never been reversed. And today, instead of the word “screwdriver” we are increasingly saying “screwdriver” or “battery screwdriver” and decide which power tool is better to choose.
In appearance, they are not much different from each other, because they are designed taking into account the anatomy of the hand. The layout is also similar. The main difference is in the amount of work and duration of operation.
Professional models are designed for daily long-term use. This, incidentally, implies the presence of certain skills from a worker.
- increased power;
- more durable body: its components are made of high-quality, wear-resistant materials using the most modern technologies.
Sell such a tool in specialized stores.
Household battery screwdrivers are used to perform small work at home, in the garage or in the garden. With their help, assembled a team of furniture, erecting partitions made of drywall, etc. Each model comes with a set of interchangeable bits, and some swivel heads and even drills (in wood you can make a hole with a diameter of 5 mm).
How many do you want?
Battery screwdriver-screwdrivers-the simplest power tool, which includes several nozzles and a charger.
They have an attractive and ergonomic design with conveniently located controls. This tool is available to anyone with a compact and reliable Nickel-cadmium or lithium-ion battery built into the handle. it works on a fundamentally safe voltage and easily wraps screws with a diameter of 5-6 mm. Often this type of work serves as a kind of “reference” for advertising screw-driver products (I remember, one company advertised its screwdrivers as capable of one charge to wrap up to 300 screws with a size of 3.5×20 mm in a Board of dry pine).
- For convenience, the tool has a reverse (the ability to rotate in the opposite direction), as well as spindle lock and easy change of nozzles. Spindle lock is a very useful property. If you need to tightly tighten or Unscrew the screw tightly tightened, enough to lock the spindle — and you can use the tool as a conventional screwdriver.
- In addition, some models have also a rotary handle, which serves to facilitate the tightening of large screws and screws.
- Control over the process of tightening is also a great advantage of a screwdriver. For example, when working with wood or plasterboard, you can not keep track, twist a little harder than necessary, and damage the lining. Or hold out — then head of the screw will stick out. Adjusting the torque value by means of a limiting clutch ensures the termination of the tightening process. When a certain critical force is reached, the engine is still running and the bit is stationary. Torque limiter (ratchet), which is equipped with almost all models, does not allow overload, not allowing the engine to ruin or break the thread when the screw is screwed into a solid material.
Something about batteries
- have relatively high power,
- provides continuous operation without charging up to 3 hours,
- withstand a large number of charge-discharge cycles.
However, they have a property called “memory effect”. If the battery is not fully discharged, it will take the remaining capacity as zero when charging, and the real capacity will decrease. That’s why Nickel-cadmium batteries need to “produce” to the end and only then put on charging.
A separate problem, though not so noticeable, is environmental. As the name suggests, these devices contain cadmium, a little useful chemical element. Therefore, when replacing the Nickel-cadmium battery, think about environmental protection: hand over the used copy to the service of the manufacturer.
The most avant-garde, compact and powerful are lithium-ion batteries, which are now equipped with most wireless machines. They are free from both the “memory effect” and the self-discharge phenomena. They also don’t care how long this tool will stay connected to the network. In General, the charging time of a professional screwdriver is no more than half an hour (for household — much more).
All chargers operate so that they automatically reduce the current when a full charge is reached, which ensures the estimated battery life. Of course, the need to charge such a power tool is a dubious advantage, but in the presence of a replaceable battery, this usually does not cause irritation. By the way, with non-replaceable elements placed inside the body, only the simplest and cheapest screwdrivers are produced.
The recovery time of the battery depends on the type of the charger: if the standard takes approximately one hour, the so-called frame as 15 to 20 min. Such devices are able to control a number of parameters: the degree of charging of the battery, its temperature and the charging current to prevent its overheating. Naturally, these products are more expensive. Therefore, it is more profitable to buy a tool with one conventional charger and two batteries (separately buy a spare element is still more expensive than buying the whole set).
Almost all manufacturers of power tools have in their Arsenal of battery screwdrivers. Among the best — Bosch, DeWalt, Black&Decker.
The prospects of wireless technology
A rechargeable power tool is needed where the power source is hard to find. Agree, not to be tied to the power supply (in direct and figurative sense) is very convenient. With this tool you can go to the yard, to the car, to the garage, to work in the country, to collect furniture, fix the cornices. It is safer network, although due to the battery is heavier. Another drawback: without recharging the battery tool will work for a relatively short time, so you need to monitor the state of the battery cell all the time and periodically recharge it. And of course the price. She’s taller.
According to such a reputable European specialist as the senior Vice-President of technology of Robert Bosch GmbH Egbert Schneider, in the near future in the domestic market segment, the volume of network and battery performance will be equal, and only in a professional, requiring increased capacity and continuous operation, the ratio will remain in favor of network equipment — 60 : 40.