This rather severe condition is familiar to every adult who has ever had too much alcohol. Ahead-a long series of New Year’s weekends, which seems to be created for spiritual feasts, reception of guests and hikes for the same guests. And a hangover is the most common side effect of a well-spent holiday evening. How to deal with it as soon as possible?
“Experts” that only do not advise: and get drunk stronger, and in the bathhouse to take a steam bath (so much so that after the steam room — with your head in the snow), and drink kvass. What folk remedies really help, and which can only harm your health?
Hangover-the result of intoxication of the body with ethanol. If the dose of alcohol consumed is too high, the liver does not have time to neutralize it, and a significant amount of acetaldehyde enters the blood. Signs of this condition — nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, headache, high blood pressure, arrhythmia, fever. To eliminate the malaise, you need to neutralize the toxins and remove them from the body as soon as possible. However, it should be remembered that there are no quick remedies, for a full recovery it takes at least 12-14 hours.
What not to do with a hangover
1. Drink alcoholic beverages. There is a dangerous misconception that the best remedy for a hangover is beer or even a glass of vodka. Alcohol does alleviate the symptoms a little, but because a new dose of ethanol is delivered to the overloaded liver, the hangover is only postponed. After a while, it begins to torment the person with a new force. You can not get drunk with alcohol, because it is harmful to health, leads to binge drinking and alcoholism. And for those who feels for alcohol craving desire even if you are feeling unwell, it is necessary to address to the psychiatrist.
2. Take a bath or go to the sauna. Alcohol intoxication causes the heart to work with an increased load. High temperature creates additional problems for the cardiovascular system.
3. Drink coffee and hot tea. Coffee increases the heart rate and increases dry mouth. In turn, the tea causes fermentation in the stomach, increasing intoxication. With a hangover, it is better to give up these drinks, at least in the first 4-6 hours.
Home methods to overcome a hangover
1. Get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is the best remedy for a hangover. You need to sleep until the feeling of drowsiness leaves you. Only in a dream, the body actively fights alcohol intoxication.
2. Get some fresh air. At least open the window. Even better, go for a walk in the park. Ventilation of the lungs helps to improve metabolic processes. But if you want to sleep, then it is better to stay at home.
3. Contrast shower. First warm, then cold. But it can not be taken for varicose veins and diseases of the cardiovascular system.
4. Cucumber or cabbage brine. It is rich in mineral salts and vitamin C, has a beneficial effect on blood vessels and digestion, serves as an antioxidant, helps with nausea. However, only the liquid in which the vegetables were fermented is suitable. Marinades with vinegar to drink is useless and even harmful. In the morning, on an empty stomach, use one or two glasses of brine. To taste, add crushed garlic, sweet paprika or black pepper to the drink.
5. Fermented milk products: kefir, yogurt, curdled milk, buttermilk, whey. When treating a hangover with fermented milk products, the following rules must be observed:
- the dose of the drink should not exceed 600 ml;
- drink on an empty stomach;
- do not take a low-fat drink, as fats soften the effect of acid on the gastric mucosa, which is already burned by alcohol;
- with severe nausea, be sure to take activated charcoal (at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight);
- those who are prone to heartburn, it is recommended in the evening to pour 0.5 kg of dry peas 1.5 liters of mineral alkaline water; in the morning, drain the infusion and drink it together with kefir;
- together with fermented milk products, you need to drink a lot of water, but in no case carbonated;
- if a hangover is accompanied by diarrhea, store-bought kefir is best avoided. In such cases, a home-made drink (on a pharmacy leaven), aged in the refrigerator for at least three days, helps;
- with gastritis, stomach ulcers and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kefir and other fermented milk products should be drunk little by little, diluted with water in a ratio of 1:1.
6. A glass of tea or herbal decoction with a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. There may be increased sweating, but along with the sweat, the toxins also go away.
7. Sodium bicarbonate mineral water, but better without gas.
8. Apple, grapefruit, grape or orange juice, diluted with mineral water in a ratio of 1:1. If the sweet does not make you sick, it is allowed to add 1-2 teaspoons of honey to taste.
9. Vitamin cocktail (recommended for high blood pressure). You will need:
- 200 ml apple juice,
- 200 ml carrot juice,
- 50 ml beet juice,
- 50 ml of celery juice.
Mix, drink in small sips for an hour.
10. In a glass of tomato juice, add salt to taste, drink.
11. A glass of strong rooibos (you can replace it with green tea) to room temperature, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and 15 drops of hydrogen peroxide. The remedy invigorates, relieves nausea and drowsiness.
12. “Blue iodine”. Dilute a teaspoon of potato starch in 50 ml of water. Separately boil 200 ml of water with 2 teaspoons of sugar. Mix the two liquids, bring to a boil, remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of iodine. Drink in 2 doses (so that the iodine does not darken the teeth — through a straw), with an interval of an hour. “Blue iodine” helps with nausea and vomiting, reduces blood pressure.
13. Mix the contents of two ampoules of vitamin B6 with 100 ml of water, drink in one go.
14. Beat the yolk of a fresh raw chicken egg with 100 ml of tomato juice, add salt and pepper, and drink in one go.
15. Beat a raw chicken egg with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, season with salt and pepper.
16. Take once an hour a drug based on succinic acid (no more than six tablets per day). Such tools enhance the work of the liver.
Instructions for overcoming a hangover
- Get a good night’s sleep and take a shower.
- Drink any pharmacy or home remedy for a hangover (see above). At least half an hour should pass between taking two different medications. Activated charcoal is combined with any home remedies, it is better not to mix other pharmaceutical preparations.
- If you have the opportunity and desire — make a cleansing enema (a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt for 2 liters of water).
- Drink mineral water all day, preferably without gas.
- If there is no appetite, you do not need to force yourself to eat something: it means that it is better for the body to starve.
- If the appetite has appeared, then not earlier than an hour after taking the anti-hopping agent, it is allowed to eat a little soup. You can replace the soup with porridge. Preference should be given to buckwheat, rice milk or pumpkin (with millet or rice) porridge.
- If there is no nausea, you can try the English method. The British found out that eggs and bacon are an indispensable source of protein. Proteins are broken down into amino acids, which purify the liver of toxins.
A severe hangover is the result of excessive alcohol consumption. And what effective remedies for a hangover do you know? Share it!