First impression of this flower is multifaceted, it seems that we’ve already seen. Some confuse it with the daffodil, perhaps because of the similarity of taste. Second acidanthery name — fragrant gladiolus. By the way, there are about 40 species acidanthery. it belongs to the family of iridaceae of the genus Irises.
Atcidanthera — flower with a thin, delicate stem and the same graceful large flowers of about 10 cm in the shape of a star. Color can be pale white or light purple hues with dark purple in the center (two-tone acidanthery). We have the most common type is acidanthera two tone, grown as an annual.
Like the gladiolus, acidanthera propagated by corms, babies and seeds.
Seed propagation gardeners have long to wait for the flowering plants, so this method is rarely used in gardeners. But if you do decide, they are planted as seedlings in February-March in fertilizer rich soil, in a greenhouse at 20-25 °C.
Corm produces many children. If you think that for the reproduction of children, and then planted them in the garden in the spring in the slots, I just placed the seedlings in the loose soil. Seedlings need to be confident, to weed, to water, to loosen the soil and dig up for the winter. Later 2-3 years, the tubers are ready to produce flowers. Not be amiss to nourish the soil of mineral and organic fertilizers. You can take a tincture of mullein.
Planting of Acidanthera
Due to the fact that the nature of this flower is widespread in Africa, it loves full sun and without strong winds. Grows well in drained, neutral or slightly acidic soils. The ground for this flower needs to be moist to do this, after landing it you can mulch the same peat. Pour acidanthera is also not advisable to avoid water stagnation and rot the bulb. Before planting in the soil introduce mineral and organic fertilizers to get a good flowering and growth of flower bulb.
Acidanthera in the beginning of flowering, it can be in March, planted in pots and grown in a heated greenhouse, on a window-sill or planted in the garden. Acidanthera is very susceptible to rotting diseases to make sure that the lamps can and should be treated with fungicides. To be planted to a depth of about 10 cm, At a distance of about 20 cm, depending on the size of the bulbs.
Care for Acidanthera
If You are to grow a flower at home, and immediately planted in the ground, we need to hide him, when a little colder. In winter, the tubers are covered with dry leaves or peat. During the growing period 2-3 times to make fertilizer and the flower is the most beautiful, the faded blossoms should be removed.
All the stems are cut after acidanthera disappeared, and only the lower leaves to the onion to gain strength. Acidanthera are suitable for planting in tubs, pots. If you want to plant acidanthera in a container, it should be noted that she would need extra feeding and watering.If you are going to plant as house plant, then cook for her the soil of humus, leaf and sod land, sand. But you need to repot it into fresh mix once a year. Keep the flower in a bright warm room of about 20 °C.
Storing and overwintering
If the winter promises to be warm, it is possible not to dig up and insulate for the winter flower straw and dry leaves. In one place to grow acidanthera 5 years.
But if the winter promises lowering the temperature in the autumn tubers are dug out (end of September) storage. First cut off the upper leaves and lower leaves remain. To dry in a well ventilated area. No excess to dry, treat the tubers with fungicide. When the bulbs are dry, the ground part can be rotated to cut the roots. Fold into a box with peat or placed in the newspaper. It should be stored at a temperature of 10-15 °C in a dry ventilated area. I keep in a box with peat, but before the spring not all survive, many bulbs become non-viable, probably because during the summer, the bulb fell short of nutrients.
The types of acidanthery
A large part of known species acidanthery not yet cultivated, and few of them where you can find. The most popular and widespread in our area view — acidanthera two-tone.
- Acidanthera bicolor — white flower 12 cm in diameter, with large black-and-red spot in the center. Corms about 3 cm, milk-white in the brown layer.
- Acidanthera aequinoctialis — sided inflorescence with 5-6 flowers. The flowers are white with crimson spots.
- Acidanthera brevicollis — bright purple flowers with a short tube. In the culture is unknown, because of the bright coloring is of great interest.
- Acidanthera Candida — white flowers with a strong smell on thin strong stems.
- Acidanthera capensis – white flowers with purple – red veins.
- Fourcade Acidanthera pink-white flowers. In the culture is unknown, but of interest.
- Acidanthera graminifolia— white flowers with a purple shade, unknown in the culture.
- Gladiolus murielaу — white flowers with violet stripes and a green spot in the Center, culture is not found. Grows in the Cape Peninsula, South Africa.
- Acidanthera pauciflora – small plants with thin leaves and 2 flowers. Grows in South Africa. The flowers are white with a reddish tinge. In the culture of this species is unknown.
- Acidanthera platypetala — grows in the Cape Peninsula.Has about 3 flowers per plant, white flowers with a purple tint. Perianth with rounded lobes.
- Acidanthera roseoalba — was found in South Africa. Has about 3 flowers of crimson hue with a spot of white.
- Acidanthera tubulosa – has about 4 flowers on a long tube. Grows in South Africa.