The pre-holiday epic of home decoration has peaked. What else can you think of to make it clear from afar that “the holiday is coming to us”? Of course, decorate the windows! Then it will become clear to everyone on the way to the house that the owners really prepared for the celebration. Festive decoration is easy to build. But as in any business, there are small subtleties. So we’ll share them.
Traditions of window decoration for the New Year and Christmas are in different countries. They have both common features and unique national ones. For example, in Germany, it is customary to decorate a window with restraint: a Christmas seven-light candle with burning candles is placed on the windowsill. It symbolizes the presence of God among people and informs the traveler that in this house he will find shelter.
And in China, on the contrary, there is a New Year’s tradition to seal the windows with paper to prevent evil spirits from entering the house, which are activated during the change of the old year to the new. In countries where they know firsthand what frost is, before the holidays, they decorate the windows with patterns that resemble ice lace, which the winter cold tightens the glass.
Paper snowflakes are one of the most common holiday home-made decorations. It is worth making them with children, and then stick them on the windows.
How to fix snowflakes on glass
There are several ways to securely attach paper decorations to the glass, and then, after the holiday, easily remove both the decor and traces of glue:
- on the water. Wet the snowflake, apply, smooth. Not always a working method-definitely not suitable for jewelry made of thick paper;
- on soapy water. Take a glass of water, a brush, and soap. Dip the brush in water, soap it, then apply the soap solution to the paper. Apply the snowflake to the glass, gently remove the excess water with a soft cloth, while straightening the decoration. The decor holds up pretty well, and the glass is then easy to clean. It is better to use the most ordinary soap without additives;
- on the paste. Make a paste of starch or flour. Next, the process is the same — apply glue, glue, remove excess, smooth with a cloth. In addition to the paste, you can use wallpaper glue. Minus-harder to wash off;
- on sugar syrup;
- on gelatin. Just as in the case of paste, the patterns hold well, but there are stains on the glass;
- on kefir, milk or whey. It holds well, easily washed off.
If you have plastic windows with double-glazed windows, such a simple operation as pasting paper decor can cause difficulties. Modern sealed windows often fog up.
The moisture that appears on the glass soaks the glue, and the jewelry crumbles. What to do? First, think about the device of the ventilation system: falling snowflakes are not the biggest problem. And secondly, while the installation of supply and exhaust ventilation has not yet begun, and the holiday is already on the nose, we glue the snowflakes in more reliable ways:
- on a thin double-sided tape. If there is no sticky tape on both sides, you can do with the usual one. Cut a small strip of transparent or paint, wrap it on a pencil or just on your finger with the sticky side out, attach the resulting loop in the right place, and stick a snowflake on top. If traces of glue remain on the glass after cleaning, they can be easily removed with alcohol-containing detergents;
- on the toothpaste. Dilute the tooth powder to the thickness of sour cream or use a white toothpaste. You may have to dilute it a little with water. Apply the composition to the back of the snowflakes, glue, straighten and dry. A huge plus of this method is the simplicity of post-holiday cleaning. You do not need to wash the glass-remove the snowflakes and simply wipe off the dried tooth powder with a dry cloth. So you will not only remove traces of jewelry, but also additionally clean the windows – you will be surprised how the glass will shine after such treatment.
Drawings on the glass
Toothpaste or tooth powder can be used not only as glue for paper jewelry, but also as paint. And paper snowflakes are like stencils.
Take a comb and a toothbrush or a hard brush, glue the paper pattern on the glass with water, moisten the brush in a solution of tooth powder and start running the brush over the teeth of the comb. White dust will settle on the glass. The density of the spray can be adjusted at your discretion, making the picture clearer or, conversely, foggy.
When the “paint” dries, remove the paper snowflake-get a stencil pattern on the glass, reminiscent of frost patterns. If you know how to draw, you can create real pictures on the glass with a brush using the same toothpaste, “artificial snow” in a spray or a white marker.
The snow is swirling
If you have prepared a lot of snowflakes from paper, you can not only stick them on the glass or use them as a stencil, but also make a snow curtain for the window.
This method of window decoration is the best in terms of entertainment. After dark, your home will look festive and magical. Garlands can be all over the window, as, for example, here.
From a string of colorful light bulbs, you can draw the figure of a Christmas tree or any other one you want. It will be visible to all passers-by!
Wreath, clock, and Co.
Decorating the window, do not forget about the window sill. A festive mood will be created by a Christmas wreath and bright pillows with a blanket, which invite you to sit down and drink tea with ginger, honey and lemon.
You can make a wreath yourself.
The arrows pointing to the beginning of the new year are a familiar symbol. And surrounded by festive decor, it will create the right atmosphere in the room.
Outside the window, snow, blizzard — and you are in a warm house, next to a loved one. Candles are so romantic! Maybe you need such a fairy tale?
Let’s see how to decorate the window in the Netherlands. Such a fun snowman on the “snow-covered” window will surely appeal to children. Who can do such a thing?
Not just inside
As a rule, residents of cities do not decorate their windows from the outside. Agree, if you live on the 18th floor in a residential area, it makes no sense. But in low-rise buildings of country or cottage settlements, as well as in villages and villages, the exterior decoration of the house has value. The atmosphere of the holiday is provided if the street window sill is luxuriously decorated.
Maybe this decoration seems too pretentious to you? Then look at how our p decorated her window.
The figure of Santa Claus climbing on your balcony with a bag of gifts is sure to make all passers-by smile.
Whatever method of window decoration you choose, your home will definitely not go unnoticed. Create New Year’s beauty, it will maintain a special mood for you and your loved ones throughout the New Year holidays. Happy holidays to you!