April-who has a snow season, and who already has a bloom: in the southern regions at this time, spring flowers are blooming, in the North the snow is rapidly melting.
And April-the month of high water, ringing streams and friendly drops: “April streams Wake the earth.” And this was a good sign for the peasant: “wet April is good arable land”, and “the first April rain is worth a cartload of gold”.
Rivers are opened, and the ice-drift begins. Its term in some localities was determined by birds: “The Wagtail arrives, sits on the ice, tramples it with its feet and tramples it — in 12 days the river will go.” Migrating birds return to their native lands.
The sun is already really warm, the days are getting warm, although frosts are common, and snow may fall more than once.
In General, this month “begins with snow, and ends with greenery” – spring comes quickly, and every day we see its signs: in the swelling buds, in the young grass breaking out from under the snow, in the timid primroses. “April flower breaks snowball” – everything around is transformed again, wakes up from a long sleep.
What did the birds on their wings bring?
Many April omens refer to birds. By their behavior, they judged whether it would be warm soon, what the next summer would be like, and what weather to expect in the next few days. Perhaps some of these observations will be useful to us.
- Birds arriving from the South do not chirp for a long time — the cold will still stand, it will not warm soon.
- If in the spring flocks of cranes pull to the North-be warm, and if to the South-expect cold weather with winds.
- Geese fly high — there will be a lot of water, they fly low – by dry spring.
- The ducks arrived fat in the spring – for a cold, lingering spring.
- If wild ducks build nests near the water, the summer will be dry, and if far from reservoirs — wet, rainy.
- Magpies sit on the tops of trees — it will get colder if they fly high above the houses until dusk — tomorrow will be clear and dry weather.
- If magpies build their nests low, wait for a stormy summer.
- The rooster in the morning in the rain screams-the weather will change, it will be clear, and if the day does not sing — in a couple of days will come bad weather.
- Crows bathe – for warmth, and if they sit on a fence or tree, frowning, lowered their wings and CAW-wait for precipitation.
What will the first thunder tell you?
In April, the first thunderstorms occur, and a lot of events of the month are associated with this weather phenomenon. It was believed that the storm and thunder can tell about the weather and the views of the crop.
- The first thunder is a sign of the coming heat, but if it gets cold after the first thunder, then the summer can be cold.
- If the first thunder rumbles when the ice on the rivers has not yet moved, the spring will be cold, and the summer is rich in thunderstorms, but fruitful.
- If the thunder in the morning was without rain — in the evening to be inclement weather, and if the rain before the thunder passed-the day will be clear.
- Thunderstorms in early April-for a warm summer and a crop of nuts.
What the weather will predict Tussilago farfara?
We now do not pay attention to many natural phenomena, and sometimes we do not even guess what we are ready to tell before the time blooming dandelions or the first spring spiders. And where in the city to watch the bloom of Tussilago farfara… But let’s remember these signs just in case — we are also interested in what weather to expect, and how many mushrooms will grow in the forest…
- Raw April-to good arable land and mushroom summer.
- If mold forms when snow melts, there will be a lot of fungi.
- If spring water in the river does not arrive-wait for a hot summer; if spring water goes, and the ice still holds — to a bad year.
- A lot of buds on the hazel — oats will be well born.
- Aspen blooms profusely, it has a lot of buds-to a good harvest of barley.
- Dandelions bloomed early — the summer will be short.
- Tussilago farfara flowers close early on a Sunny day — wait for bad weather.
- A lot of juice from the birch flows — the summer will be rainy, little juice – to dry summer.
- The first young spiders have appeared-for warmth; the spider is sitting in the corner, wrapped in a web — there will be night frosts.
And of course, each area has its own signs, because somewhere spring comes earlier, but somewhere is not in a hurry, someone has the first flowers in the front garden, and someone has knee-deep snowdrifts. Here you, for example, on what signs spring meets? Tell us!